Thursday, August 28, 2008

Just Packing

We've been having new adventures this week. We've been packing. As we are taking a prolonged 'vacation', and will be putting all our belongings in storage until we come back and are in a different apartment (we hope), we've been packing it all up. Four weeks to go, and we're making good progress. Logan and I have each had the experience of moving several times during our lives, but this time there is a new element. The unforeseen variable that makes this a true adventure is having a 19 month old. She likes to imitate whatever it is we are doing. She sees me taking things off shelves and putting them in boxes. Sometimes she takes things off shelves and puts them in the boxes. Sometimes she takes things out of the boxes. Each time, she turns to me and claps for herself as though she is doing something new and amazing, while giving me her huge wrinkly nosed grin. While this makes the packing experience more fun filled, it also makes it a bit more challenging as I like to make lists so I am organized in the packing. I like to know what is in each box, and where each box will be (here or in Oregon), what is going down, what is staying here, and what is being gotten rid of. My little helper doesn't see things in the same light. She thinks if she can reach it (and her reach has grown by leaps and bounds, no longer is the table or counter top a safe place), then it should go in the box. Sometimes I'm surprised by what I find in the box, especially in the relatively short time span it takes me to go to the shelves for another load. I've tried giving her a box of her own. She doesn't want it. She wants to help me with my box. I am choosing to see this as a sign of affection and attachment. I also think it will be an accomplishment if we get everything organized in the way I had hoped, and if we make it onto our trip with all the things I hope will make it into the right boxes to go with us. So for now, our updates are probably going to be fewer and farther between, as we're up to our knees in boxes and a helper. Anyone need help loading up boxes? I've got an expert on my hands!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hey, I sent an email to your dp.underwood account, do you still have that one? Let me know. thanks