Thursday, February 19, 2009

New Adventures

Elise and I had a bit of a day today. She was doing normal things, like making a huge mess kicking the dominos under the couch (although she helped hold the flash light so we could find them, she really liked that), wiping her messy hands down my pant legs at the store instead of waiting for me to wipe them for her (she did a very cute giggle and helped hold the basket afterwards though), and as I contemplated spending a normal evening having dinner, reading Dr. Seuss stories and singing the Wheels on the Bus song for the millionth time today, I realized that I could use a break from the normal. That and she started imitating me saying, "Stop, No" and shaking her finger at me so that I would sit with her on the couch and read the same story again instead of get a drink of water. I thought it was going to be a long night....So I changed tactics and we had a special girls night instead. We were the only ones home, so we picked a movie Elise has never seen, and popped some popcorn (she loves popcorn). She chose (out of Peter Pan, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and Cinderella) Cinderella, or as she says it, "Sillerella". I was amazed at how into she was. She's always been interested in television, and remembers many things (Today the word on Sesame Street was toss. They tossed a ball and a cow. She spent time today imitating that, and pretending to toss a ball, and even a cow.). We usually limit the time spent watching television, so any time we do watch is a treat. This movie watching turned out to be a great experience. She loved the dancing, and the mice and birds singing, and being helpers. She loved that the mice helped clean up the mess the cat made, and that the mice help make a dress for Cinderella. She loved that there was a fairy and a pumpkin. All in all, it was fun to watch her get excited for popcorn, and the dancing. She was so excited for dancing that she had to get up and dance herself and wanted me to dance with her (I'll try to get video soon!). It made a great end to a long day, and made it easier to look towards tomorrow.
Elise is a great girl, and has been doing some fun things lately that I thought I should update on. She is talking up a storm, and its funny to hear some of the things she comes up with. She has been mimicing me, repeating whatever I say, and at the store the other day was saying, "OK, Alright" and nodding her head as we walked around. I guess I use those as filler words as we check things off our list, and she caught on to that, so she kept saying them as she tried to follow people around who had balloons (It was Valentine's day so MANY people had balloons.) Today fell over and immediately popped up to say she was ok, then she got back on the floor, and said, "Help", and waited for me to help her up. That's one of her favorite games to play, helping people. We talk a lot about helping others, or people that can help us, like firefighters or policemen, or postal workers, or people at the store. It makes for interesting conversation.
The other way funny thing, is that she has been saying sorry when I wipe her nose, and says she feels better when I'm done. Since she's been sick we've talked a lot about her feeling better when I do certain things, like snuggle her, or kiss an owie. Today she brought me a puzzle that was wrapped in plastic. She said, "op puzzle....".
To which I replied, "You want me to open this puzzle?"
"Yes," she said.
Then she said, "Feel better."
I said, "You'll feel better if I open this puzzle?"
She nodded, with a big smile and said, "Yes."
I couldn't help laughing. She would feel better if I opened the puzzle so she could play with it. What a clever way of reasoning why we should play with new toys. I love this girl! She's a challenge in so many ways, (that's a good thing!), and is so fun to be around.
Now we're gonna call Daddy, so she can tell him about Sillyrella, and we read our good night moon and go to sleep.....hopefully we'll have some great adventures to tell about tomorrow as well!!

No comments: