Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Where The Fun Starts

Despite it being a couple months later, I am going to try to get updates from our trip up here with pictures, so here goes!
My girl and I started our adventurous trip on August 29.  My girl really loves the airport.  Our airport has so many things to look at and fun things to do like riding escalators, that we sometimes take a trip to walk around the airport, even when we aren't flying anywhere.  However, when the time comes to actually get on a real airplane, my girl is tremendously excited!  Standing in the security line, she kept saying, "This adventure is so exciting!" and "I am so excited!"  She did great getting through security and then wanted to walk all around the inside area, where we don't usually get to go.  The hard part about this was, since we were just the two of us, that meant I had to carry all the carry on luggage by myself.  She had her little backpack, and she did a great job pulling it around, but I don't think she realized how challenging it was to maneuver the rest of the luggage, especially when we needed the special seat and there wasn't another person to leave the stuff with!  So it was an adventure just getting around the airport!  But we made it on to our first flight, where I surprised my girl by pulling out a bag of her favorite dinosaurs.  She loves playing with her dinosaurs.  She had them give a concert on the first flight, where they sang numerous songs, mostly from the Dinosaur Train TV show, but at one point one of them sang the 8th Article of Faith, and did so very loudly.  It was pretty fun!  I was a bit worried, since she tends to get a bit motion sick, but she did great!  It gets easier to fly with a small friend, the older the small friend gets.  We got to our first airport, where we walked around and found some food.....again, I hadn't really forseen the challenge of holding a hand, all the baggage, and trying to carry food as well......Fortunately I had brought the leash, but unfortunately my girl thought it was hilarious to go out to the end of the leash and pull on it, and then spin in to get all wrapped up in it, and have lots of fun with it.....this added to the challenge, but somehow we found a table and got to have our lunch.  My girl thought it was a special tea party for some reason, and was just as happy as a clam and seemed to be filled with excitement the entire time.  She had a bit of a cough and at one point asked me for a coffee cup.  I was very surprised, and told her she doesn't drink coffee so she didn't need a coffee cup.  She informed me that she needed a drink so her throat could feel better for her cough.  So, I held up my drink for her, and she coughed all over the straw.....So it turned out she wanted a cough-ee cup!  I had a pretty good, much needed laugh over that!

After lunch we found a seat closer to our gate and pulled out pillow and blanket for a bit of quiet time.  I had brought ipod with some tv shows on it, and some books to read to her, and she settled in for some quiet (as quiet as it gets in the Seattle airport!).

Then we had our second flight, and we discovered how wonderful it is when there are only two flights to get that close to our destination rather than three.  The day seems to go faster that way.  So it was a small plane, and my girl got to sit by the window, which she loved!  
As we traveled through the day, my girl kept telling me that she missed Daddy, and that next time we travel, we should go with her choice and bring him with us, instead of going without him.  I tried to explain that he had to stay for work, but she knows it would be more fun if he came with us (and I most heartily agree!!!!).  So, again my girl did great on this flight as well, even though she was a bit concerned about walking up and down the stairs on from the outside of the plane, since it was so loud and windy, but we did it, and when we landed we found Grandma Sue and Papa!!!!!  My girl remembered them, and was willing to give hugs and be friendly, and to stay with Grandma Sue while Papa and I tried to make it to air cargo before they closed, which was an adventure of itself.  After driving around trying to locate it, we discovered that it was closed up tight, earlier than their posted closing time, with not a sight of anyone to ask for help.  We went back to the terminal, and there weren't even any Alaska Airlines agents to ask for help either.....so we got our bags, with the realization that we would have to drive the 2 hour drive back at some point to get our cargo item....but we made it safely and all our bags!  And we got to have some Carl's Jr for dinner!  All in all, it was a success, and we made the drive back to Logan's folks' house, and got snuggled into beds safe and sound!

That is the start of our adventure, and I will do my best to get some more fun stories up here with pictures of the fun soon!!!

1 comment:

Sister Tara Bowen said...

I love hearing your stories!