As we have embarked on the journey of preschool at home in the last several months, we have sort of let things pile up and get crazy. We may be moving soon (or not, it is really all still up in the air month to month), and are hopeful for some visitors next month, so we've decided that we need to get organized. My girl and I worked hard to move empty boxes from the back bedroom, and to rearrange books on our new bookshelf (hooray for Logan and his cool building skills!) in the last couple days. First we swept and mopped the floor where the boxes would be sitting. My girl was so helpful. She even suggested that we should sing a song while we worked. She told me about a Clifford episode where the dogs are planting a garden and they sing. I thought that sounded good and asked her which song she would like to sing. She went, "Hmmmm." I asked if she would like to sing 'The Church of Jesus Christ', a new song she has learned, and sings a lot lately. She replied, "No, Mama. That is a song I sing in nursery. When my nursery teacher tells me to sing, then I sing it." (This was partly funny, because I am her nursery teacher at church! Although she insists I'm just her Mama.) So I asked her what song she would like to sing instead. Her response surprised me. She said, "My Daddy taught me a song this morning we could sing." I was a bit curious, since we hadn't seen Logan yet that day. She went on, "It goes like this: A B C D E F G..." and she proceeded to sing the Alphabet song. What a girl! I was not aware that it was a 'newly acquired' song (she's known it forever!), or that it was good for a working song, but I guess you can adapt it to fill any need. So we finished with that and got down to the box moving.
My girl, of course, HAD to help. She had a bit of a hard time moving some of those big boxes, so she insisted instead that she would help me carry them. This was one of those times where the thought ran through my mind 'Moving these boxes is A LOT easier when the three year old is doing something else............BUT it IS good to work together'. SO, I made the effort to slow down, and invite her to help me. She was so excited, running back for the next box and saying multiple times as I took the front end and she the back, "Mama, it sure is fun to work together on a project with a friend!" (Also something she learned from Clifford.)
What a great helper my sweet grown up girl is!
And she is making progress in leaps and bounds with her special seat. She earned her big reward by keeping dry for three weeks, wearing pants, and has been doing FABULOUSLY! I am so grateful that she has finally caught on, and is so grown up, and that we are out of the diaper stage!!! Although, I admit to being a bit nervous when we take our new skill on the road....But she's doing okay so far! Hooray!!
My girl, of course, HAD to help. She had a bit of a hard time moving some of those big boxes, so she insisted instead that she would help me carry them. This was one of those times where the thought ran through my mind 'Moving these boxes is A LOT easier when the three year old is doing something else............BUT it IS good to work together'. SO, I made the effort to slow down, and invite her to help me. She was so excited, running back for the next box and saying multiple times as I took the front end and she the back, "Mama, it sure is fun to work together on a project with a friend!" (Also something she learned from Clifford.)
What a great helper my sweet grown up girl is!
And she is making progress in leaps and bounds with her special seat. She earned her big reward by keeping dry for three weeks, wearing pants, and has been doing FABULOUSLY! I am so grateful that she has finally caught on, and is so grown up, and that we are out of the diaper stage!!! Although, I admit to being a bit nervous when we take our new skill on the road....But she's doing okay so far! Hooray!!
2 comments:
Love your helper stories! Hope you have a good weekend!
Good for you guys. When I read your posts, I feel like I should be doing more with Isaac and Lucy to savor experiences together. Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment