Thursday, December 3, 2009

Learning to Whisper

We have been trying to help Elise learn to use a quiet voice, as this is advantageous and appropriate in certain circumstances, like in Sacrament meeting at Church on Sundays.
We have a quiet book that talks about being reverent and thinking about Jesus during the sacrament. I read it with Elise before church one Sunday. It tells about having quiet hands and feet, as well as a quiet voice. I told her we could practice our quiet voices. I leaned close to her and whispered, "I love you", then asked her to practice her quiet voice. She leaned close to me and whispered, "I love you." I told her she did great. We went to church and were sitting in the meeting when she turned to me and said, "I want to sit next to Daddy!" in a not so quiet voice. I reminded her softly that we needed to use our soft voices. She leaned over to Daddy and whispered at him, "I love you," then she turned back to me and said, in a not so quiet voice, "I want to sit next to Daddy!" It was pretty funny....apparently I didn't help her have enough practice with the right phrases. We've been practicing for a while now, and she is getting lots better. Except when she gets excited about something, but its a work in progress!

No comments: