Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Just One

Funny quick story. Elise and I have snack time in the afternoons. She gets to have some fruit puffs and some dried bits of fruit, and some juice or water. The other day she was having her puffs. She has learned how to take the top off, and loves to do this, but does it in such a way that the puffs fall all over the place. So I hold the container and let her get the lid off. She is also still learning about not taking a whole handful. She reaches into the container and grabs a whole handful and tries to put them all in her mouth at once. I take them out of her hand and make sure she only has one. Well, the other day she was having her puffs. She took off the lid and pulled out a handful. I gave her one from her handful and held up one finger, saying, "Just one". She held up her finger and chewed the puff while I put the lid back on. She took the lid off, and I held up my finger saying, "Just one". She held up her finger, then reached in and grabbed a whole handful. I gave her one from her handful and put the rest back and put the lid on. She took the lid off, we each held up our one finger, and I said, "Just one". She smiled really big, and reached in for a whole handful. She repeated the process again and again until snack time was done. She has learned the signs for several words lately, but obviously we're still working on the meaning of the word one!

I told my Mom that story, and she said, "Elise understands 'just one', but her definition is different. She took just one, but it was just one handful!" I guess I need to be more specific next time! What a fun and smart girl!

No comments: